Academic Writing - Executive Summary - Focus on Childhood Dream - Donalds - My Mother's Maiden Name

Expect Competency Based Behavioral Questions

Even if you know are good communicator, you can be ever better if you anticipate what will happen in the interview and above all, practice. Active preparation is key. Singer and Actors rehearse their lines and movements for weeks, sometimes even months, before opening night or before filming or concert begins for show or movie. Medical student and doctors practice surgery techniques on cadavers. Before a particularly difficult surgery using a new techniques, surgeons spend hours strategizing and planning. The best litigators work with mock juries and even go through mock trails before a major trail to help them anticipate the real jury’s concerns and issues. 

Just as the best actors, singer, doctors, lawyers, coaches, and players do, the best interviewers plan for their interviews and prepare. Even if they already work for the competency-based organization, they prepare for their interview thinking about the competencies needed for the new position, whether it is a promotion or a transfer or MBA recommendation request. 

What are Competency-based Behavioral Questions?

Competency-Based behavioral questions are questions asking for example from past behavior and experience to help the interviewer assess how strong I am in key competency areas. 

How Can I respond to behavioral questions?

1. Situation, task, or problem.

2. Action

3. Result

Good interviewer are trained to listen for these three components in any answer. At Snow Blue Inc, for example, interviewer are asked to take notes and provide the candidate’s answer by these three areas on their interview evaluation form.  At Snow Blue Inc we are interviewing with someone who is very results-oriented  at the highest level to different professional level, from entry level all the way up to c-level executive of competence possible-as their strongest accomplishments that prove your competence in each key competency area. I have spend some time thinking about what results or results will make my point most effectively to the interviewer and decision-makers.  I have though about how I can explain this accomplishment to the interviewer in a conversational manner. I have been reasonable concise but also complete in my answers. In most cases, the examples the candidate chose to talk about also show they are strong in more than one competency area. See if any of them describe something you’ve done. Pay attention to the way the candidate gives the answer by picking the key points that are the most important to telling the story.

Chief Financial Officer, healthcare company, interview with large hospital system.

Question: Give me an example of a time when you are were able to take the lead in changing financial policy or practice for your organization?

Situation/ ACTION: When I consulted with the CIO, the senior managers board were used to taking very little risk with the investment portfolio. The problem at the time was that by playing it that conservatively, the returns were lower than I thought they should be.

Action: I spent 1990-1997 educating key senior managers and board members about the potential benefits of taking at least 15 percent of the portfolio and using hedge funds and other nontraditional investment strategies. I met with them one-on-one and presented my recommendation at the end-of-year board meeting.

Results: With support from the CFO and CEO, I persuaded the board to change the company’s investment policy to allow up to 25 percent of the investment portfolio to be invested in hedge funds and more esoteric investments.

Administrative Assistant, interview for executive secretary position.

Question: Have you seen an opportunity to do something in your position that would really help your department run more effectively? 

Situation/Action: When I started working in the sales department, most of the sales representatives kept their own records, and each of the eight territory managers tracked the information in their own spreadsheet. The managers provided the information to me every week, and I was responsible for consolidating the data on a single spreadsheet. I could see that my manager would have more complete and more current information if we standardized the spreadsheet department-wide and linked it directly to information the sales representative entered into the system.

Action: I talked to my manager about why our department should update the way we collected sales information. I suggested how to set this up and volunteered to help him update the system.

Results: I worked with two of the territory managers to design a system that would work using Excel and Access, and had the new system in place in one month. They now have real-time information on the status of any sales prospect, which helps the managers make better decisions.

What competencies are demonstrated in this answer? In addition to showing initiatives, the candidate clearly showed she performed at a high level in these major competencies:

Achieves results:

Organization Awareness/Political Savvy:

Impact and Influence:

Analytical Skills:

Interpersonal Skills:

Conceptual Skills/Strategic Agility


College senior, political science, interviewing for first job after graduation

As a college senior majoring in political science, I focused on keeping my 3.67 GPA ay York University and had had very little real work experience by the time I graduated. I finally realized that I should have tried to obtain more work experience while I was in school, and that my lack of work experience put me in a less competitive position in the job market. 

Question: tell us about a time you demonstrated initiative in school.

Results/ Action: I worked as a key member of the team that won the best senior project in real estate honors program this last year. That next week, the department head, who was teaching the class, asked me to review his article based upon our project, before he submitted it to the best Recruitment and Admissions Administrator .

Situation/Problem: In my senior honors class, our professor asked us to work in teams of four to decide on a project using the computer engineering skills we had learned in the program. Our group decided to build a robotic nose to fertilize spreader, and took the initiative to take the lead with the computer engineering work on the hydraulic system design.


Other competencies demonstrated by the candidate in the answer include:

Achieves Results:

Analytical Skills:

Information Gathering:

Interpersonal Skills:


Communication Tips for Stronger Answers:

• TITLE: 5 -6 IMPORTANT TIPS FOR BUYING A NEW CONDO


NC: IT’S NO SECRET THAT THERS’S AN ONGOING CONDO BOOM IN ONTARIO-JUST LOOK AROUND YOU. OUR CITIES ARE GOING UP VERTICALLY, AND THAT MEANS MORE AND MORE PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING HIGH RISE LIVING. SO IF YOU ARE JOINING THE CROWD AND THINKING OF BUYING A CONDO, HERE ARE SOME TIPS TO MAKE YOUR PURCHASE A SMOOTH ONE;

1. PATIENCE IS IMPORTANT: IT COULD BE TWO TO THREE YEARS BETWEEN THE DATE YOU SIGN YOUR PURCHASE AGREEMENT AND THE DATA YOU MAKE OCCUPANCY OF YOUR UNIT. IF CONSTRUCTION RUNS OVER SCHEDULE, IT COULD BE EVEN LONGER.

2. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS WHEN IT COMES TO DELAYED CLOSING. BUILDERS ARE ENTITLED TO EXTEND THE OCCUPANCY DATA SPECIFIED IN A PURCHASE AGREEMENT AS LONG AS THEY PROVIDE PROPER NOTICE. (WHEN PROPER NOTICE IS NOT GIVEN, BUYERS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR DELAYED OCCUPANCY COMPENSATION.) IT’S GOOD IDEA TO READ UP ON YOUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES IN DELAYED OCCUPANCY SITUATIONS, WHICH YOU CAN DO AT WWW.TARION.COM

3. HIRE A LAWYER: A CONDOMINIUM LAWYER WILL HELP YOU INTERPRET YOUR PURCHASE AGREEMENT. IT’S TO YOUR BENFIT TO UNDERSTAND BOTH YOUR OWN AND YOUR BUILDER’S RESPONSIBILITIES. FOR EXAMPLE, THE CONDOMINIUM ACT ENTILTES YOU TO A 10 DAY “COOLING OFF” PERIOD THAT BEGINS ON THE DAY YOU RECEIVE THE PURCHASE AGREEMENT OR A DOCUMENT CALLED THE DISCLOSURE STATEMENT, WHICHEVER COMES LATER. DURING THIS TIME, YOUR LAWYER CAN NEGOTIATE CHANGES TO THE OFFER, LIKE CAPPING ADJUSTMENT TO THE PURCHASE PRICE, OR RESTRICTING AMENMENTS TO THE SIZE, DESIGN OR DIMENSIONS OF THE UNIT.

4. UNDERSTAND DEPOSIT PROTECTION: IF A BUILDER FAILS TO CLOSE THE SALE OR SUBSTANTIALLY COMPLETE CONSTRUCTION, DEPOSIT ARE PROTECTED UP TO A MAXIMUM OF $20.000 WITH ANY EXCESS DEPOSIT AMOUNT BEING PROTECTED BT THE TRUST PROVISIONS OF THE CONDOMINIUM ACT. ANY MONEY PAID OVER AND ABOVE THIS MAY NOT BE PROTECTED IF SOMETHING UNFORSEEN HAPPENS WITH THE BUILDER OR DEVELMENT.

5. BE PREPARED TO MOVE INTO A CONSTRUCTION ZONE: CONDO PROJECTS ARE DIFFERENT FROM SINGLE FAMILY HOMES IN THAT THE PURCHASE IS USUALLY COMPLETED IN TWO STEPS. STEP ONE IS INTERIM OCCUPANCY. MANY BUYERS FIND OUT THE HARD WAY THAT THEY’RE REQUIRED TO TAKE POSSESSION OF THEIR COMPLETED UNIT (AND PAY THE BALANCE OF THE DOWN PAYMENT, WHICH GENERALLY AMOUNTS TP 25 PER CENT OF THE PURCHASE PRICE) BEFORE COMMON ELEMENT FEATURES LIKE FRONT RECEPTION, LANDSCAPING AND THE SWIMMING POOL ARE FINISHED. THIS MEANS YOU COULD LIVE FOR MANY MONTHS WITHOUT THE ANTICIPATED AMENITIES, PARTICULARLY IF THE UNITS SITS ON A LOWER FLOOR.

6. WHER YOU ARE A FIRST-TIME BUYER EMPTY NESTER, OR JUST DRAWN TO THE CONDO LIFE STYLE, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS. MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR NEW CONDOS IS AVAILABLE ON LINE AT WWW.TARION.COM OR PHONE 1-877-982-7466. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE CONDOMINIUM ACT, WHICH IS NOT ADMINISTERED BT WWW.TARION.COM  CONTACT THE ONTARIO MINISTRY OF CONSUMER SERVICES.



Ethics and Integrity

Human and Resources professional, interview for HR position, Fortune 500 chemical company.

Question: Describe a time when I was asked to do something at work that I did not think was appropriate. How did I respond?

Situation: I was working on finalizing a chart showing the employee headcount for 15 facilities within the division. It was more difficult than usual because the organization was in the process of going through a restructuring, and transfer and termination dates changed daily. When I explained the situation, my manager told me to “make up the numbers if you have to”   


Action: I asked if he could wait 45 minutes- I thought I’d be able to confirm the real numbers by then He agreed to wait.

Result: I gave him a chart showing accurate employee headcount information 30 minutes later. (Note: Use an example that shows that you exceeded your deadline, if possible.)

College senior, political science interview for labor and labor relations at a large labor relations teaching ministry.

Question: Describe a time when I you were in a situation in which I felt something I were asked to do was wrong, unethical, or inappropriate. How did I respond.

Situation: When I worked as a student labor relations at the ministry of labor, I told one of the labor relations on the graveyard shift that we need to get a doctor to sign the order to continue restraints for an alcohol withdrawal labor relations employee. She told me that the order wasn’t necessary.

Action: I called my manager for advice because I wasn’t comfortable ignoring the hospital’s policy. Then I decided to go ahead and call the supervisor to get signature before the other order expired.

Results: I was able to make sure we followed the labor relations policy- it just made sense to me.

Experienced attorney: interview for appointment in the U.S Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps.

Question: Tell me about a time when you had to do something you didn’t necessarily agree with.

Situation: I worked defending a doctor practicing internal medicine who had been accused of medical malpractice by patient for the her failure to diagnose prosthetics limb, mastectomy products placement in the early stages of the implant. The patient was very sympathetic, but I knew it was my job to represent the doctor.

Action: Despite feeling some sympathy for the plaintiff, I stayed focused on the case and represented my client, the doctor, as well as I could.

Results: The case settled out of court. My client told me she was very happy with my work and though I had done a good job of representing her.

Customer service: Auditor: Interview at a Fortune 500 company.

Question: Describe a time when you worked on an audit and had to deal with some resistance from people in the department or company you were auditing.

Situation: I was assigned to work on a financial audit of 12 retail sites in Los Angeles for one of the major home improvement retail chains. At one of the locations, when I asked for certain inventory records, the employees told me that they were not available. Other information was also “not available.”

Action: I spoke first with the store manager and told him about the lack of support I was receiving from the employee. He suggested that I talk with the employee at the store meeting at the beginning of the next shift. I explained to employee that my job was to conduct the audit, and I’d appreciate their help. I asked if they had any questions about how the audit process worked, and answered a few of their questions.

Results: I was able to complete the audit and developed a good relationship with managers and supervisors at that particular store.

Director of fundraising: interview for vice president of fundraising  at a national organization’s headquarters.

Question: T ell me about a time you persuaded a donor to contribute to the organization even though the first answer was no.

Result: we just found out two weeks ago that one of the largest foundations in the city donating $500,000 to the nonprofit’s capital campaign. 

Situation: As a fundraiser, I’ve learned to never take no as an answer until I’ve heard it at least three times. So I’m used to having the first response be negative. Last year, we were to told no for the second time by the foundation.

Action: I talked to one of the woman I know who is heading a major fundraising campaign for the nonprofit and asked for her advice. She’s very powerful, runs a major law firm, and knows most of the important people in the city. She told me to call one of the key players on the foundation board and use her name. I went to lunch with the board member three times during the next six months, asked for advice, and made the case for donating to the nonprofit.

Waitress/high school graduate: interview for floor manager position at a chain restaurant.

Question: Tell me about a time when you used your best customer service skills.

 Situation: We were opening the restaurant for lunch one day last December, and the back section of the restaurant was really cold. One of the customers  asked to speak to the floor manager to ask why they were seating people  in such a cold room. I told the floor manager about the problem, and he went to speak to the customer. I looked at the customer while she was talking with the floor manager, and I could tell she wasn’t happy.

ACTION: After the floor manager left, I talked with the customer and asked if there was anything I could do. I offered her hot drink and soup, and didn’t charge her for them.

Results: The customer talked to our regional vice president in Jamaica and explained what had happened. Our restaurant manager showed me the letter she wrote talking about what a good job I had done handling a difficult situation.

Typical Information Regarding your Qualifications:

1. Why should we hire you for this position?

2. Why do you want this position?

3. What skills do you think you can bring to this position?

4. What relevant experience do you have for the position at hand?

5. Why would you say that you are the best person for this job?

6. What is your greatest strength?

7. What is your greatest weakness?

8. What major challenges or problems have you handled at work?

9. What is your dream job?

10. How did you hear about this opening?

11. What really interests you about this job?

12. What is your proudest achievement?

13. What were your previous responsibilities?

14. Can you guide me through one of your best work achievements?

15. Why is there a gap in your employment history?



Questions Regarding Character



16. Why would you say that you are the best person for this job?

17. How would you describe yourself and your personality?

18. What are you really passionate about?

19. Why are you leaving your current position?

20. Are you willing to re-locate?

21. Are you willing to travel extensively?

22. Would you say you are more of a leader or a follower?

23. What was the last book you read for fun?

24. What are your co-worker pet peeves?

25. What are your hobbies or personal interests?

26. What is your favourite website?

27. Can you tell me what you know about this company?

28. What makes you uncomfortable?

29. Why are you looking for a new job?

30. Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?

31. Can you describe your best boss and your worst boss?

32. Are you comfortable working with a younger supervisor?

33. What type of things irritate you about co-workers?

34. If I called your boss and asked him/her an area that you could improve on, what do you think he/she would say?

35. How do you handle pressure and stress?

36. What can you offer us that someone else can not?

37. How would you handle it if your boss was wrong?

38. What do you like the most and least about working in this industry?

39. Is there a type of work environment that you prefer?

40. Who would you like to have as your mentor?

41. Who would you say are this company's competitors?

42. What would you be looking to accomplish in your first month in this role?

43. What drives or motivates you?

Sources


Questions Regarding Career Goals


44. What are your career goals?

45. What are your personal goals for the future?

46. What Do I want to be doing in 10 Years?

47. What are your hobbies & interests outside of work?

48. Do you plan to continue your education?

49. What kind of work interest you most?

50. What are your salary expectations for the future, say in five years?

51. What motivates you?

52. Do you consider yourself a leader or a follower?

53. Of all the classes that you have taken which did you like best? Why?



Some of the questions that are appropriate for you to ask are the following?


54. Could you describe in more details the responsibilities of the job?

55. What skills are most critical in this job?

56. Is this a new position, or did someone leave?

57. What type of personality type would be most successful in this position?

58. How is an Employee evaluated in this position?

59. Would it be all right for me to volunteer for a day to see what the work is really like in this department?

60. What is the company’s practice and attitude regarding additional training and education?

61. When might I learn of your decision regarding WHO IS SELECTED FOR THIS POSITION?




Difficult or Stress Questions:



62. What major challenges or problems have you handled at work?

63. What is your greatest strength?

64. What is your greatest weakness?

65. What major challenges or problems have you handled at work?

66. Can you tell me about some of your most relevant leadership experiences?

67. How would you say that you handle pressure?

68. How would you say that you measure success?

69. How do you handle pressure and stress?

70. What are your salary expectations?

71. Can you describe your work style to me?

72. Can you guide me through a difficult experience that you have had at work?

73. How long do you envisage working at this company?

74. Can you describe to me how you would fire someone. 

Audit & Quality Assurance

Internal evaluation

Criteria Somewhat attentive Not really attentive Not at all attentive

Somewhat Professional Notreally Professional Not at all professional

Yes Maybe No

Audience need clearly reflect letter.

Form, Structure, & Design

Organization & Content

Production Quality

Distribution

Follow-Up Actions

TOTAL

Organization of Job Search Activities

Educational Challenge

Activity WEEKS

Thinking Questioning, Listening Evaluating Adjusting

Identifying Abilities & Skills

Setting Objectives

Writing Resume

Conducting Research

Prospecting Referrals, Networking

Interviewing

Receiving & negotiating job Offer

Total:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Agent

TIME SQUARE TO NEGRIL SQUARE - STAUTE OF THOMAS J. PRICES' GROUNDED IN THE STARS ON DISPLAY UNTIL JUNE 17 AFTER THAT TRAVEL TO JAMAICA.

Academic Writing Executive Summary - Childhood Dream - My Mother's Maiden Name is Donalds, Mrs. Viola B. Donalds-Barnett